Google Street View car drove down my street today
This was a lucky shot – lucky that I had gotten a glance “of something” going down my street and on a hutch, sprinted for my camera, ran back, saw what it was, and got this shot.
This is the second time I have captured their car on my camera. The other time, I was bicycling on an off road bike trail and encountered the Google bike taking pictures.
The Google vehicle scarfs up photos, laser measurements to create a 3D world model, Wi-Fi access points and MAC addresses, and in the past, also stored any private email you might have been sending over Wi-Fi as they drove past. Now I need to change my router ID and create a new fake MAC address for it.
File this under “Cameras” because, well, it is!
- Crowdsourced GPS Maps – ‘Streetview Updating by Hertz’ Places Google Cameras on Rental Cars (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Google Street View Captures Naked Woman (shoppingblog.com)
- You’ll soon able to opt-out of Google Wi-Fi snooping (zdnet.com)
- Video Blog: Just Up: Google Street View Car (wnctravel.wordpress.com)
- Street View cars grabbed locations of phones, PCs (news.cnet.com)
- Google shows off three-wheeled Street View trike (ctv.ca)